I am a qualitative and mixed methods researcher with experience in applied health services research, including development of theory using Realist Evaluation. I have a specific interest in ethnography and embedded research that involves patients and practitioners in research co-design, analysis and implementation. I qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist and have practiced in education, health and social care settings as well as internationally.
I am interested in long-term conditions, complex interventions, family health care, refugee mental health and global health. My specialist areas are person-centred care and social prescribing.
I have worked on studies at the Universities of Liverpool and Plymouth as well as conducting embedded research in voluntary sector and NHS organisations. I have been joint Principle Investigator on a Global Challenges Research Fund project and am a Co-applicant on an NIHR funded study of a peer support intervention for refugee mental health.
Previous projects include:
- Researcher-in Residence evaluation of social prescribing implementation across Devon, University of Plymouth, commissioned by the Devon Integrated Care System,
- Principle Investigator: STS Study of cultural adaptations to neonatal life support in rural Cambodia, University of Plymouth, funded by Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF).
- Kupumua – research to co-develop a culturally-adapted programme of pulmonary rehabilitation including music, dance and singing in Uganda, funded by GCRF
- Evaluation of Integrated Personal Commissioning (IPC) across the South West of England, funded by local health providers.
- Avoidable Acute Admissions Study of different models of emergency and urgent care for the University of Plymouth, funded by National Institute for Health Research
- Study of community child health for The Children’s Society, commissioned by local health and social care services.
- GP attitudes to completing benefit claim forms for the Health and Community Care Research Unit (HaCCRU) at the University of Liverpool, commissioned by Department of Work and Pensions
- Impact of government policy on family health management for the Health and Community Care Research Unit (HaCCRU) at the University of Liverpool, commissioned by Department of Health
I am the co-founder of a project in Peru and a UK registered charity that provides preschool education and community development for families in shanty towns of Lima, Peru.